SLLS Summer School
From August 24 to August 28 2020, the SLLS Summer School on Longitudinal and Life Course Research will be organized at the NCCR LIVES, University of Geneva. Registration is open until May 31 – the number of participants is limited!
Life course research is a burgeoning, interdisciplinary field of studies. It is characterized by theoretical approaches that reflect and inform diverse areas such as sociology, demography, epidemiology, economics, psychology, and social biology. It is also characterized by a set of commonly-used quantitative research methods, such as event-history analysis, multi-level modelling, structural equation modelling and sequence analysis that span disciplinary boundaries.
The Summer School on Longitudinal and Life Course Research brings together scholars from diverse backgrounds and introduces them to the main theories and methods in longitudinal and life course research. Previous schools have been held in Antwerp, Oxford, Bamberg, Zurich and Milan.
The Summer School is intended for post-doctoral fellows and postgraduate research students who are interested in exploring the potential of longitudinal and life course research or who want to further develop their existing skills.
The program includes lectures and discussions led by expert researchers. Examples are drawn from a wide range of longitudinal data sets and illustrated with social and biological life course outcomes. Computer lab sessions develop practical and statistical skills for life course research.
- SLLS Summer School 2020 - Information and preliminary programme
- SLLS Summer School 2019 - Information and programme
Applications for the 2020 edition are open until May 31 2020. The number of participants being restricted, earlier applications will be given higher priorities.
With the registration, please send us (to upload on the form):
- A motivation letter presenting your current research and its link with the life course perspective (No longer than 1 page)
- A Curriculum Vitae including a list of publications
You will receive a notification from the Summer School staff that your application has been received and you will hear whether you have been admitted before June 12, 2020. In all cases, the fee is expected to be paid within 30 days after the notification of acceptance to finalize your registration.
The tuition Fee is 450 CHF, covering lectures and computer labs sessions by recognized scholars, coffee breaks as well as the welcome and concluding apéro. Lunch and hotel accommodation are not included.
Participants are responsible for all costs. This includes transportation, food and lodging. For lodging, student accommodations are available in Geneva (but should be booked separately and availability cannot be guaranteed). See ‘Where to sleep’ below.
Where to sleep:
The Summer School does not include hotel accommodation. Several places propose student accommodations, some with kitchen. We can also assist participants who wish to find colleagues with whom to share accommodations.
- Cité Universitaire: 25-minutes bus ride to the university, many rooms, students prices for PhD student.
- Centre Universitaire protestant, smaller structure but close to the university, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Résidence Universitaire Internationale, central location, 25-minutes bus ride to the university,
- The association C.A.R. provides many information for a “budget stay” in Geneva, including accommodation and restaurant recommendations. See: https://car-ge.ch/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CARinfo_2019-web.pdf
For further informations about the accomodations in Geneva and questions about visas, see our ‘FAQ_Practical’.
Contact & Further information: email@example.com
- 31 May: Registration deadline.
- 10 June: Notification of admission.
- 10 July: Deadline for the payment of the tuition fee.
- 24-28 August: Summer School in Geneva